Vision is a clear written statement of what your business will be when it is complete. It is a detailed picture of the future – your vision of what your business will look like, act like, smell, taste, and feel like, and how it will perform when it is fully developed.
Vision provides a sense of direction and goals – a target for the future. Motivation for you and your team – a dream to strive for. It provides basis for decision making, planning, and business development activities.
- Products and services
- Organization size (annual sales, annual profits, number of employees)
- Growth (sales, profits, production)
- Business Locations, Markets
- Market positioning, Target markets
- Basis of competition (price, quality, service, etc.)
- Basis of brand
- Distinctive product/service lines
- Distinctive behavior of employees
- Distinctive presence (look, sound, feel)
- Distinctive culture and operations
- Other unique or distinctive characteristics
Vision is a clear written picture of your company’s future. It’s a commitment to the future, not merely a wish. It has to serve your Values and Purpose or it won’t be real to you or your people. This type of Vision Statement is not a one sentence statement or "BHAG," but a one to two paragraph picture of what your organization will tangibly look like in 3 years.
Testing Your Vision
- Can you see it?
- Is it bigger than you?
- Is it specific enough to elicit emotion, and fear?
- Does it engage your passion?
- Is it anchored in your past?
- It is not “Purpose” restated.